Desktop as a Service
Desktop computers lie at the heart of the IT infrastructure for businesses of all sizes - from the largest corporate enterprise to SMEs with just a handful of users. The PC has become the essential business tool - acting as the main productivity tool and company interface for most employees.
Despite - or perhaps because - of this, PCs are the source of most of the IT problems that business face. Internal IT departments and external IT service providers alike, agree that the PC creates most of the noise and most of the day-to-day problem solving that they face.
And that's largely because the desktop PC wasn't really designed to meet the needs of today's business users; it's a Personal Computer, not necessarily best suited to the increasing demands of business usage or being an easily integrated part of a unified infrastructure.
Although PCs have become indispensible to business, they are difficult to manage, maintain and secure, hard to scale, and depreciate in value rapidly as technology advances. And they're expensive to run - according to US industry estimates, managing a single desktop PC can cost upwards of $5,000 per year!
The Solution - Desktop as a Service from IT Easy
Desktop as a Service eliminates all of these problems by consolidating and centralising complete desktop environments within the IT Easy data centre. This solution transforms the entire desktop - including operating system, applications and data - into an image that is stored and executed on a server. End-users can access their virtual desktops using a traditional PC, thin client or other network-connected device.
Sometimes called "Hosted Desktop", this system is built on the latest technologies from Citrix and Microsoft, and provides end-users with a stable desktop computing platform that they can access from anywhere at any time.
Desktop as a Service brings many benefits to users:
- Cost reduction - both operating costs and capital costs, as PCs no longer have to be replaced every few years due to obsolescence, or can be replaced entirely by cheaper thin clients
- Connect Anywhere - mobile workers can connect to their desktop environment from anywhere at any time - all they need is an internet connection.
- Increased Computing Power - being part of a hosted infrastructure means that desktop PCs have access to server-class processing power, no matter what end device they're accessed from. This means desktops are automatically kept up-to-date with the latest technology, even though the access point might be a decade old PC.
- Reliability and Uptime - hosted in IT Easy's state of the art data centre, Desktop as a Service provides enterprise class IT to even the smallest business.
- Scalability - Desktops on Demand - adding a new employee no longer involves a time consuming and expensive process to procure and set-up a new PC. Just advise your IT Easy Account Manager and the new virtual desktop can be created within a couple of hours - with exactly the systems and services that the new employee needs.